An Army Wife's Life

Once upon a time I was a college student, then I was a teacher, and now I'm a mother. Technically, I'm currently a freelance writer... but really I am an ARMY WIFE. Expect to find... funny (at least to me) anecdotes, thoughts about la vida military, hopes, anxieties, dreams, commentaries on current events.

Sunday, March 19, 2006

Smart Aleck

DH would be proud, mostly.

I have an (apparently) annoying habit of answer people's questions...when they are just wondering out loud, like in a museum or something.

DH tells me that they really do not want someone to answer their question. If I ask a question, I want an answer!

Anyway, I was in Target and this young couple was looking at decorations for their house--apparently a "jungle" theme. The man picked up a Southeast Asian-style Buddha and his wife (girlfriend?) declared it scary and kept asking, "What is that?"

I bit my tongue.

Then the man said it was a Buddha...but the wife was not convinced. "Buddhas are fat and they smile," she argued.

Still I bit my tongue.

Just when I was about to explode, the man saw me glancing over and asked, "Its a Buddha, right?"

And I said, "Yes."

The lady asked, "Aren't Buddhas fat?"

I explained, "A lot of the Chinese ones are...but the ones in other Buddhist areas usually look like this one."

Okay, so I did not keep my mouth shut entirely...but at least I waited until the question was directly posed to me. I also didn't launch into a 2-minute mini art history lecture.

Aren't you proud?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home